Ilab Windows Vista Sidebar gadgets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Date entry isn't working right

2 posters

Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Date entry isn't working right

Post  DanW Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm using 1.0.7, and the following have worked for me, until about the last week.
Currently, I see the following behavior:
New Task (Select "Work" list; enter "Test"; enter "tod" for today) + Create = creates a new task with no due date
New Task (entering 2011-04-12) + Create = creates a new task with a due date of 2011-04-11
Edit Task (enter any date in yyyy-mm-dd) = sets due date to entered date - 1 day
Edit Task (enter a date by a name shortcut, such as tod, tom, Tues) = due date is not changed

My country setting at RTM website was blank. I selected it now, and tried a new task again (with closing or restarting anything), but there's no change. My time-zone has always been correct, and matching my PC's timezone.

I'm sorry to wait for compliments until after a but report, but your gadget is awesome! The interface is so clean and simple. Having started on RTM with I Forgot The Milk, I can hardly stand to use the standard web interface of RTM - I only use it when I have to for issues like this date entry not working.

Thanks again for a great tool!

DanW

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty More about dates not working

Post  DanW Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:40 pm

I thought of some more input that might be helpful.
Before I started having trouble with dates not working, I was having some trouble refreshing and getting connected. I ended up re-authenticating a time or two.
A short while after that (but only for a day or two) I was getting an error when trying to update the date (but, sadly, I didn't document it - something about an ID missing or not found I think)

DanW

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Same for me :-(

Post  Veux Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Same for me :-(

Veux

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Setting due date on new event does not work

Post  Wavel Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Seem to be having the same issue. Create a new event and putting in a due date creates the event with no due date. Need to go to web site to fix each time.

Wavel

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Re: Date entry isn't working right

Post  Admin Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes, it seems RTM has changed something. Or I did. However, as I remember it used to work...

Admin
Admin

https://ilab.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

A bit uncomfortable workaround is to follow this process:
1. add the task without due date
2. postpone the task - this will make it due today
3. edit the due date

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Nice trick, but still the same, really

Post  DanW Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Admin wrote:A bit uncomfortable workaround is to follow this process:
1. add the task without due date
2. postpone the task - this will make it due today
3. edit the due date

Thanks for the idea. Postpone is a nice trick to move something from no due date to today.
However, editing the date gives the same results:
- If I enter a date by word, it clears the due date.
- When entered as yyyy-mm-dd, the resulting due date = (entered due date - 1 day).
They are... uncomfortable, as you say, but workable.

For my workaround, I use another gadget for entering dates, but still review my to-do's from I Forgot The Milk. Your presentation is so much cleaner that I find it's easier to get to the destination: "what's my next task to focus on", and therefore worth having the two gadgets going. The gadget I use for entry is minibrowser 0.7.2, from www.minibrowser.info, and I point it to http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/gmail/.

Thanks again for the great gadget. If you're seeing the same, I'm assuming sending you logs wouldn't help.

Assuming your only control is over the gadget code on my computer, and it communicates directly to RTM from my PC, this must be something that got changed in the API, because it worked when I first started using I Forgot The Milk.

DanW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Hmmm.

In fact, now it is working for me with the form yyyy-mm-dd

Shocked

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Nope, still not for me

Post  DanW Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Here's the first log item listed for a new task I made, specifying "2011-04-19" as the due date:
2011-04-19T17:03:04: [Main.Task] 17907768, Work, 114433833, TEST 32, 173954140, 2011-04-19T00:00:00Z, 0, , , N, null, null

(If any of those numbers is bad to make public, I'm assuming you or I could edit them out)
The date is right here, but it came back as yesterday, 2011-04-18.

Are there RTM settings I should be checking or changing related to time zone or anything?

DanW

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty An interesting new observation

Post  DanW Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 am

When I come to this site without being logged in, the posted time on my messages shows current time minus 18 hours. When I login, it shows right.
The "Current date/time" at the top of this window shows correct local time when logged in, otherwise it shows GMT time.
I just tried to create a new entry, hoping that the minus 18 hour thing would mean it would work right after 6:00 PM local time, but nope - still back dates 1 day.
I don't know if those are related, but I thought it was worth mentioning - since I thought it was so strange to see something back-dated by 18 hours.

DanW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm

DanW wrote:Here's the first log item listed for a new task I made, specifying "2011-04-19" as the due date:
2011-04-19T17:03:04: [Main.Task] 17907768, Work, 114433833, TEST 32, 173954140, 2011-04-19T00:00:00Z, 0, , , N, null, null

The thing is, that the returned 2011-04-19T00:00:00Z is NOT correct, because it is an UTC time, which is 2011-04-18 xy:00:00 in your timezone (I suppose you are in GMT-[something]) and it is 2011-04-19 02:00 in my timezone as I am in GMT+2. I am lucky, as it happens to work here, but you are not Smile

RTM should return simply 2011-04-19.

I write them a letter to ask if i am wrong or what...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty That is correct

Post  DanW Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Just wanted to confirm with some more facts:
I am in UTC-6, and we observe daylight saving time, so currently it's like UTC-5, which would explain why a test that I entered from the /gmail link I posted earlier comes back like this:
2011-04-21T08:14:16: [Main.Task] 17907768, Work, 114605907, TEST 41, 174274005, 2011-04-21T05:00:00Z, 0, , , N, null, null
That would all make it seem like you can't just specify the date, but you have to hit midnight of the end user's time zone to get the time to be ignored. It seems like one of those cases where it would be easier if the date could be pure date, and not date/time - then UTC adjustments wouldn't matter.

Thanks for all of your help on this!

DanW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I told them exactly the same, we will see what happens

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty any update on this issue?

Post  Wavel Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Any update or timeframe for a new version/fix?

Wavel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gray Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

YYYY-MM-DD is definitely doing the trick for now - cheers

Gray

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Workaround only works with a date

Post  Veux Thu May 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi,
the workaround with the date in the format YYYY-MM-DD works when you only need the date part. But if you like to set a time for the entry, then nothing is stored. Mad

Hope there will be an update soon!
What was the answer from the remember the milk team ?

Cheers Christian

Veux

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

In their opinion, it is perfectly normal that they format a date (not time) value something like "2011-05-05 00:00:00Z" which is in day 2011-05-04 in GMT-x timezones, and I should remove the time part Smile

I will try to get time to fix it next week.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I have just created a new version. It is not available yet on windows live, please check here.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Thanks!!!

Post  Veux Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi,
thanks for the new version, for me everythings works fine now!

Greetings
Christian

Veux

Back to top Go down

Date entry isn't working right Empty Thanks!!

Post  DanW Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks for the fix and extra new features!

DanW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down